Situated on the banks of Narmada River
, Mandleshwar is around 5 km from Maheshwar
. This town was set up by Mandana Mishra. It has a stone fort built by Mohammedan rulers and a palace built by Tukoji Rao Holkar II. Once, it was the headquarters of the Nimar Agency and Cantonment under the British from 1819 to 1864. The town is also an important retail marketing and trade center.