The State Central Library, popularly called the Thiruvananthapuram Public Library is at
. Founded in 1829, it is one of the oldest public libraries in India. The king of the erstwhile princely province of Travancore, Swati Thirunal initiated the establishment of the library, completed by the British Resident Colonel Edward Cadogan. The public were given access to the library only from 1898.
The building that houses the library is a fine specimen of Victorian architecture and it still bears the sign 'Victoria Diamond Jubilee Library.' The library has over quarter of a million books in various Indian languages and English. A certificate course in library and information science is conducted by this library. The library works seven days a week, with shorter hours on weekends.