Balaramapuram is a township situated 13 km south of Thiruvananthapuram
city. Founded in the year 1810 AD by the Travancore royalty, this town is well known for its hand-spun cloth and the skilled artisans who produce them. The Trivandrum Spinning and Weaving Mill is located in Balaramapuram. Balaramapuram handloom sarees are known for their simplicity and beautiful design. The finest cotton yarn with exquisite designs of golden jerry is used for the sarees.