Located in the heart of Palakkad
town, Palakkad Fort (also Tipu's Fort) is one of the best preserved forts in Kerala
It is believed to have been built by Haider Ali in 1766. The fort was taken over and renovated by the British in 1790. Today it belongs to the Archeological Survey of India.
The spacious grounds of this old granite fort houses an open air auditorium, called Rappadi. A children's park is situated on one of the sides of the fort.
The nearest airport is at Coimbatore (55 km). Palakkad Town Railway Station is a major railhead in the Southern Railways.