Built by Portuguese in 1557, the Mattancherry Palace is an oriental architectural delight. It is also known as the Dutch Palace as the Dutch renovated it in 1663.
The palace is a double storied quadrangular building, surrounding a central courtyard containing a Hindu temple. It has an impressive picture gallery with 17th century murals, depicting scenes from the Indian mythologies. The palace also displays the dresses, turbans, weapons, and palanquins of Rajas of
The palace is opened between 10 am and 5 pm except on Fridays and National Holidays. Photography is not permitted.
There are frequent bus and boat services to Mattancherry. The boats start from Main Boat Jetty near Subash Park at Ernakulam town.