Mulki, 29 km to the north of Mangalore
city, is situated on the southern bank of Mulki River. It was once the seat of a line of chiefs called the Savantas. The Durgaparameshwari Temple at Bappanadu, the Venkatramana temple and the twin temple of Somanatha and Narayana are the famous temples around here. Janardanaswamy temple of Simantur (5 km east of Mulki), ruins of the palace and fort built by Venkatappa Nayak of Bidanur in 1608, four Jain Basadis and tombs of twenty Savant chiefs are the old monuments around this place. An annual buffalo race called the Arasu Kambla is also conducted here.