Birla Gita Mandir is situated near the Brahma Sarovar
in Kurukshetra District
. It was built by Shri Jugal Kishore Birla in 1952. This temple is made up of white marbles.
Lord Krishna is the main deity of the temple. The main hall has portraits of Guru Nanak, Guru Gobind Singh, Saint Ravidas, Guru Tegh Bahadur, Veda Vyasa and Tulsidas along with their preaching.
There is an interesting story behind the temple site. A Titu bird had laid eggs in the battle field of
Mahabharat. The bird was concerned about the security of her children due to the movements of the elephants. She prayed to the God and a bell broke from the neck of an elephant and fell over the nest. This bell protected the nest during the 18 day war. A white marble Gaj Ghanta (elephant's bell) located in the temple garden commemorates this legend.
This garden also has a large marble chariot drawn by four horses. It contains the sitting idols of Lord Krishna and Arjuna. A stanza from each of the 18 chapters of Bhagavad Gita is inscribed on all sides of the chariot.
Janmashtami is the major festival celebrated. Accommodations are available in the Dharamshala attached to the temple complex.
Birla Gita Mandir is only two and half km from the railway station at Kurukshetra.