Vansada, one of the erstwhile princely states of South Gujarat, is a beautiful town situated at the foothills of the Sahyadri Hills. Located in Valsad District
, it is surrounded by thick bamboo forests, which probably could have led in christening the town as Vansada (‘vans’ in Gujarati means ‘bamboo’).
town is 63 km southwest of Vansada.
Vansada was founded by Maharaval Virsinhji in 1781, on the banks of the Kaveri River. It was ruled by the descendants of Chalukya Rajput Clan and was the capital of the princely state of Vansada until 1947.
Two entrance gates welcome one into the town. First, one is an imposing structure with a big plaster garnished arch near the Vireshwari Temple while the second gate is a 3-storied one, positioned at the Town Hall. Though once conceived as a security measure for the town, the gates are no longer in use, but serves as important landmarks of the town. Places worth visiting in and around the town include the Clock Tower, Town Hall, Sushil Sadan, Digvir Niwas Palace, Unai (18 km) and Vansda National Park (10 km).
Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport is 248 km away. Closest railhead is Unai Vansada Road (18 km), situated on the Bilimora-Waghai narrow gauge railway line. Vansada is well connected by road with Ahmedabad, Surat (83 km) and Valsad (63 km).