Dharampur, formerly known as Ramnagar, is situated on the banks of the Swargavahini River, in Valsad District
. It lies next to the Maharashtra
border, surrounded by the Western Ghats
on east, west and southern sides. Owing to this ideal location, Dharampur enjoys a pleasant climate throughout the year. The Rajya Rohan Gate, built in European style with life size statues in Greek style adorning the top, welcomes one in to the city.
Dharampur, founded by King Dharmedvji in 1764 AD, was the erstwhile capital of the former princely state of Dharampur. It was ruled by the descendants of the Sisodia Rajputs of Chittor. After the fall of the Delhi Sultanate in south Gujarat, the State of Dharampur achieved a prominent and powerful position by controlling about seven strategic forts in the region.
The city of Dharampur had undergone two major phases of development - the first, in the late 18th century, with the construction of Raj Mahal, public buildings, stepwells and temples. The second, in the late 19th century, with the construction of the Anglo Vernacular School, jail and hospitals as a part of the Queen Victoria Golden Jubilee celebrations. Mohan Vilas palace, Pramod Bhavan, State Guest House and numerous temples were built during the reign of King Mohandevji.
Lady Wilson Museum, built by King Vijaydevji, on his accession to kingdom in 1921, is one of the major tourist attractions in the city. Japanese Garden, Radha Krishna Temple and Wilson Hill (27 km) are other tourist spots in and around Dharampur.
Vadodara Airport serves Dharampur. Valsad Railway Station, on the Mumbai-Vadodara railway line, is the nearest railhead.