Cabo Palace or Cabo Raj Niwas was built in 1540. It is located opposite to Fort Aguada on the south headland of the river Mandovi. Cabo is the Portuguese word for cape. The palace fortress housed the Franciscan monastery, which later in 1594 became the official residence of the Governor of
Cabo Palace is now known as the Raj Bhavan, the official name given to the residence of the Governors of the Indian states. It is the best among residences of Indian Governors and is the oldest. The official reception area contains a large hall named Darbar Hall, used for receptions, ceremonies and other official meetings. Dining room has a seating capacity of over 30 persons. Living quarters of the governor and his family are on the same floor. The verandah overlooks the Mandovi Bay and
the Arabian Sea. Three suites and seven double rooms are available for guests. The offices of the governor, his secretariat and staff are located on the ground floor. Raj Bhavan has a fine collection of Bohemian chandeliers, Chinese porcelain, silver, and beautiful pieces of antique Chinese porcelain, manufactured in Canton.