Chapora Fort is located about 10 km from Mapusa
. It was built by Adil Shah of Bijapur on the southern headland of the
. Since the fort lies on the village Shapur, it got the name Chapora. Portuguese wrested control of the fort from its Muslim rulers. They then built the red-laterite bastion crowning the rock bluff in 1617.
Magnificent views of Morjim
, Mandarem and Anjuna
beaches are its highlight. Even though the fort lies in ruins, heads of two tunnels and Muslim tomb stones scattered on the hill slopes are precious relics of pre-colonial days.