Quwwat-ul-Islam Masjid, built in the early 12th century, is situated in
Mehrauli, in Delhi. This mosque was built by
Qutub-ud-Din Aibak to mark his victory over Rai Pithora. The mosque has a rectangular court, enclosed by covered passages which were erected with carved columns and other architectural members from the 27 Hindu and Jain temples, after demolishing them.
The size of the masjid was later doubled in 1230 by extending the colonnade and prayer hall outside the original enclosure. A beautifully carved stone screen was erected in front of the prayer hall, with arabesque ornamentations and Quranic inscriptions. There is a 72 m long Iron Pillar in the center of the courtyard.