The district of Gaya in Bihar
covers an area of 4,976 sq km. It consists of a level plain, with a ridge of beautiful wooded hills along the southern boundary. The Son is the main river. Two branches of the Son canal system, the eastern main canal and the Patna canal intersect Gaya.
Gaya District has a population of 390,700.
Bodhgaya located in
Gaya city is one of the holiest sites of
Lord Buddha attained enlightenment under the tree named Bodhi. There are many ruins and sculptures. Another place of religious interest is a temple of great antiquity, which crowns the highest peak of the Barabar hills. A religious fair is held each September, attended by 10,000 to 20,000 pilgrims. At the foot of the hill are numerous rock caves excavated about 200 BC. There are a number of lac factories and many manufacturing units of common brass utensils, black stone ornaments, pottery, tussar silk and cotton cloth.
The places to visit are the Vishnupaada temple constructed in 1787 by Queen Ahilya Bai of Indore on the banks of river Phalgu and Brahmajuni Hill, which is 1 km south-west of the Vishnupaada Temple. '
Akshayabat' or immortal banyan tree, standing in the yard of the temple is ascribed divine qualities.
Gaya city lies about 100 km south of Patna and 12 km from Bodhgaya between Pretshila and