Mahabubnagar, formerly known as 'Rukmammapeta' and 'Palamooru', is the southern district of Andhra Pradesh
. The name was changed to Mahabubnagar in 1890, in honor of Mir Mahbub Ali Khan Asaf Jah VI, the Nizam of
from 1869-1911. The Mahabubnagar region was once known as Cholawadi or the land of the Cholas
. The famous 'Kohinoor' diamond came from here.
Mahabubnagar is bordered by the river Krishna in the south and surrounded by Nalgonda, Hyderabad, Kurnool, Raichur and Gulbarga districts.
Mahabubnagar town is located at a distance of 96 km from Hyderabad.
The area covered is 18,432 sq km, forestland occupying 14 percent of it. The population is approximately three and a half million. Agriculture and allied activities form the major occupation. Cotton ginning and cotton pressing, as well as oilseed and rice milling are the main industries.
Farahabad, Gadwal, Kollapur and Achampet are some of the main cities. Major places to visit are Koilsagar Dam, Archaeological Museum, Garuda Brahma Temple, Alemelu Mangamma Temple, Sri Ranganayakaswamy Temple and Somasila.