Kurnool, the erstwhile administrative headquarters of Andhra Pradesh
from 1953 to 56, is situated on the southern bank of Tungabhadra
and Handri rivers. It lies to the west-central part of the state and is the headquarters of Kurnool District
. Kurnool is 208 km southwest of Hyderabad
The early recorded history of the town dates back to the 14th century, when the rulers of the Hindu Vijayanagar kingdom (1336-1565), realizing the strategic position of the town, built a fort at this place. The fort and the city were conquered by the Abdul Wahad Khan in 1620. The city assumed prominence under the successive Mughal rulers, especially during the rule of Asaf Jahis of Hyderabad. It came under the control of the British in the early 19th century and remained with them until India’s independence in 1947.
Household industry, especially artistic handicrafts, forms the staple of Kurnool’s economy. It is also a prominent regional trade center of Kurnool District.
Places of tourist interest in the city include the tomb of Abdul Wahad on the banks of Hindri, the ruins of palace of Gopal Raju, temples of 'Nagareswarasawami' and 'Peta Anjaneyaswami', Kondareddy Fort, and Birla Mandir.
Kurnool Railway Station is on the Secunderabad-Bangalore railway line. Direct buses are available to Cuddapah, Anantapur, Chittoor and Hyderabad. Nearest airport is at Hyderabad.