Nalgonda District is located between two hills and lies at the geographic center of Andhra Pradesh
. In the earlier centuries the
, and the
ruled over this place. Formerly, it was known as Nilagiri which means ‘blue hill’ but subsequently came to be known as Nalgonda after its conquest by Ala-ud-Din Bahman Shah.
On the northern hill stands Shah Latif's tomb and on the southern hill there is a strong fort built by the Kakatiya kings, which are of great historical importance. There are many monuments, forts and temples, which have survived the ravages of time and human vandalism, proclaiming the glorious past of the place.
Nalgonda is located at an altitude of 1380 ft. It occupies an area of 14,240 sq km of land. The population is approximately 3.3 million. The district headquarters, Nalgonda is 103 km from
The Pachala Someshwara Temple, Chayala Someshwara Temple and Kulpakji Teerth are of architectural importance. The Kakatiyas have constructed many temples here, which are renowned for their architectural beauty.
Various tourist destinations include Bhongir Fort, Devarkonda Fort, Nandikonda, Gajulabanda Yeleswaram and Kolanupaka. The District Archaeological Museum has collections that include stone and bronze sculptures, copies of ancient paintings and epigraphic objects.