Established in 1858 at Lovedale (near Ooty
), the Lawrence School is named after Maj Gen Sir Henry Lawrence, who first envisaged the idea of a school in the Nilgiris. Now the school is under the control of the Ministry of Education, Government of India. It caters to the academic needs of students up to the 12th standard. The school prepares students for the Central Board of Secondary Education Exams (CBSE) conducted by Indian Govt. The school curriculum involves co-curricular and extra curricular activities aimed to develop the skills of students.