Lashkar, founded in 1809 by Daulat Rao Scindia, is a town and a major business center in Gwalior District
, Madhya Pradesh
. It is situated a few kilometers south of the famous Gwalior Fort
. Now Lashkar along with Morar
constitutes the Gwalior Municipality.
Lashkar derives its name after the Persian word ‘Lashkar’, which means ‘army’ or ‘camp’. Originally an army camp, this growing settlement of the early 19th century later became the permanent capital of Sindias.
Places of tourist interest include Jai Vilas Palace, Moti Mahal, the Royal Chhattris and the memorial of Lakshmi Bai, the Rani of Jhansi. The Teli Ka Mandir, Man Singh Palace, Archeological Museum,
Jama Masjid and the tomb of
Tansen, at Gwalior and the replica of the Sun Temple of Konark at Morar are other spots worth visiting in the vicinity.
Nearest airport is at Gwalior. Lashkar Railway Station is situated on the Datia-Morena line. The
National Highway 75 passes through the town.