Kankariya Lake, situated in the south-east of Ahmedabad
city, was built in 1451 by Sultan Qutub-ud-din Aibak
, who also built the famous Qutab Minar
. This has been a popular tourist spot since the time of Emperor Jahangir and
, who frequented the place.
The lake is polygonal, almost circular, in shape, about a mile in circumference, with an island garden and summer palace called Nagina Wadi at the center. The island garden has 34 sides, each 60 m long. The lake is bounded by a park, aquarium, boat club, natural history museum and a zoo.