Located 2 km away from the Murshidabad Rail Station, Hazarduari Palace is a three-storied rectangular building in Murshidabad on the northern banks of the Bhagirathi. Covering an area of 41 acres, it was built in 1837 by General Duncan McLeod for the Nawab Najim Humayun Jah. The palace has 8 galleries and 114 rooms, constructed in Indo-European architectural style.
Now, the palace is a museum which has collections of armory, splendid paintings, exhaustive portraits of the Nawabs, various works of art including beautiful works of ivory (of the Murshidabad school), and many other valuables. Swords used by Shiraj-ud-Daulla and his grandfather, Nawab Alivardi Khan, can be seen here. Vintage cars and Fittan cars used by the Nawabs and their families are also displayed.
The library houses old manuscripts and rare books. Special permission is needed to visit the library.
Hazarduari Palace is open from 10:00 to 16:30 hrs and remains closed on Fridays and second Wednesdays.