The ancient citadel of Shaivism, Deulajhari is a heritage place of historical, mythological, and spiritual importance. The temple complex spanning over an area of 24 acres and the hot springs that surround the temple are the main attractions.
According to myths, Deulajhari is associated with the Treta Yuga. Lord Ramalong with Goddess Sita Devi and the younger brother Lakshman worshipped Lord Shiva at this place in the course of their fourteen years life of exile. This place is also viewed as the Adipitha of Lord Jagannath.
The main temple of the temple complex enshrines Sidheswarbaba, the sylvan deity of the temple. Situated amidst dense indigenous-jasmine forests (locally known as Kiabana), the sacred river Chitrotpala flows to the south of the temple, and in the north stands the soaring hills of Panchadhara. The other important temples in the complex are Kedareswar Baba, Enkari Mata Maa Mahaswari, Sri Maheswar Baba, Sri Jogeswar Baba and Maa Khambeswari. The present structure of the main temple was consecrated by the King Kishore Chandra Deo of Kadamba Dynasty in the year 1936. A large number of devotees from far off villages gather here to participate on the holy occasions of the temple. The presence of saints and their murmuring chants add to the holiness to this place.
The uniqueness of Deulajhari is a cluster of 84 hot springs of medicinal properties that surround the temple. Agnikunda, Taptakunda, Himakunda, Amrutakunda and Labakusakunda are among the prominent ones. The water of these hot springs has curative powers.
The place also offers many interesting features for botanical research. The soil and water of the region are not suitable for the growth of normal trees. Yet this place covered with shrubs, resplendent in greenery and flowers is really a mystery of nature.
Deulajhari is 6 km from Athamallick, 90 km from Angul and 130 km from Dhenkanal.