The ancient Balakrishna Temple was built by the great Vijayanagar King Krishnadevaraya in 1513 to commemorate his victory over Prataparudra Gajapati, the ruler of Orissa. The image of the child Krishna
was sanctified in this temple. The whole architecture of the temple features a sanctum, an antechamber, an ardha mantapa, a passage, a pillared hall with three entrances and an open pillared mantapa, and shrines for the other deities. The inner sides of the entrance exhibit interesting carvings of Apsaras
standing on mythical animals and the ten incarnations of the Lord Vishnu
. The image of Balakrishna has been handed over to the Government Museum at Chennai.