Aguada Fort is an imposing structure built under the guidance of Filipo Terzi, an Italian architect. It is located about 18 km from Panaji
. It was built in 1612 to protect the sources of several natural springs on the northern shores of the Mandovi River
, from Dutch and Maharatha raiders. It is the largest and best preserved Portuguese bastion in Goa
There is a defensive wall on the northern side of the fort that project into the bay to form a jetty between two small sandy coves. There were several freshwater springs within the fort that provided water for incoming ships. Hence it got the name Aguada which means watering place. Now the fort houses the central jail. A four-storey lighthouse, built in 19th century is situated inside the fortress. The fort offers a splendid view of the sea, sand and palm trees of Calangute beach.