Chandraketugarh is an archeological site, located on the banks of the Vidyadhari River, about 35 km north-east of Kolkata
in North 24 Parganas District
of West Bengal
. It lies about a km from Berachampa
on the road to Haroa.
This port-city, equaling the age of Mohenjadaro, was discovered in 1955. The excavations held here have revealed several materials, which prove the antiquity of the site and its archeological importance. Evidences of the Maurya to the Pala ages have been excavated, which include clay pipes, drainage systems, minted copper coins, ivory bangles and beads, bronze and terracotta images. Other notable things are a 45 sq km sized prayer hall dating back to 700-600 BC and Kharosti script of 600-400 B C. One can find some of these excavated materials in the collection of the Asutosh Museum of Indian Art and the State Archeological Museum, Kolkata. Moreover, there are numerous private collections in and around the town.