A classic example of Gothic Architecture, Victoria Terminus in Mumbai was designed by F W Stevens on the lines of the St Pancras Station in London. Declared as a world heritage site by UNESCO in 2004, it was the headquarters of the Great Indian Peninsular Railway Company and was completed in 1887. Victoria Terminus is undoubtedly the greatest landmark of British Raj and it is complete with carved stone friezes, stained glass windows and flying buttresses. At the top of the central dome stands the triumphant figure of Progress.
For many years, this station was known as Victoria Terminus in honor of Queen Victoria. In 1996, the railway station was re-named Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) Railway Station after the famous Maratha warrior and king. Catering to 2.5 million commuters daily, it is still popularly known as VT.