Municipal Corporation Building was designed by a British architect, F W Stevens. The foundation stone was laid by Lord Ripon, the erstwhile British viceroy, on December 9, 1884. The construction was completed during the year 1893.
This building conforms to the Gothic style of architecture, with a fair amount of Indian influence. One of the striking features is the V-shaped structure of the building, when viewed from the top. Another thing to be noted is its 255 feet tall tower. The central dome, rising to a height of 71.5 m, is its chief architectural feature.