Kaduthuruthy is a famous pilgrim center of Kottayam District and is on the Kottayam
Kaduthuruthy is well known in the history books as carturte, caduthurutha, and sindhu dweepam which means a place surrounded by sea. It was a very famous port and commercial center in ancient days called as ‘Kadanthery.’ Historical evidences reveal that Kaduthuruthy was the capital city of Vadakancore kingdom in AD 1754.
The main attractions are the Kaduthuruthy Mahadev Temple and Kaduthuruthy Valiapalli, one of the most famous churches in South India built in 5th century AD. Other places of worship in the vicinity are Adhithyapuram Surya Temple, Malliyur Ganapathi Temple, Subramanyaswami Temple at Iravimangalam and Kailasapuram Temple.
Kaduthuruthy is about 25 km from Kottayam and 15 km from Vaikom. The nearest railhead is Ettumanoor Railway Station.