Diu town is an island, situated in the Union Territory of Daman and Diu
, off the Saurashtra
coast of the state of Gujarat
. It is sandwiched between a huge city wall to its west, and a huge fort on its eastern end. Chasi River flows through Diu. Diu was a Portugese colony until 1961, which is reflected in its architecture and cathedrals. It has a population of around 40000, and is 13 km long with 3 km width. Una is the access point to Diu from the mainland.
Goghla village with a tourist complex, situated on the main land provides decent accommodation.
Diu has 3 major churches, St Paul, St Francis, and the St Thomas Church, which is now the Diu Museum. Marwar memorial is situated in a park, and represents the Portugese departure from Diu. The Diu Fort was made by Portugese in 1541. It has an array of cannons and is today partially in ruins.
Nagao beach is located nearby. Vanakbara is situated on the western part of Diu town. Somnath Temple is 72 km from Diu.
Delwada, 8 km from Diu, is the nearest railhead. Diu Airport is located within Diu.