Situated about 9 km east of Panaji
, Old Goa was the former capital of Goa
. It was founded in 1510 by Alfonso de Albuquerque. It is one among the world heritage sites of UNESCO. This town is renowned as a holy site, since the sacred relics of St Francis Xavier are preserved. The mentionable churches in Old Goa are the Se Cathedral, the Convent and Church of St Francis of Assisi, the
Basilica of Bom Jesus
, the Church and Convent of St Monica, and the Church of St Cajetan.