Sibsagar District was a military station of the Ahom kings who ruled Assam for more than six hundred years until the advent of the British. It is famous for historical monuments such as Kareng Ghar, Talatal Ghar and Rang Ghar, built by King Rudra Singha during 1696-1714. Sibsagar is also famous for the Rang Ghar Amphitheater and the Namdang stone bridge. The amphitheater was built by King Pramatta Singha. This two-storied oval shaped pavilion is one of the largest of its kind in Asia. The Namdang stone bridge is carved out of a single boulder hundreds of years ago. A busy highway now runs over the bridge.
Gargaon palace, Joy sagar tank and temple,
Gauri sagar tank and temple, Sagar College Museum, Charaideo, and Ajan Pir Dargah are the main tourist destinations. There are also a great number of Vaishnava satras (monastries), Muslim dargahs, Buddhist and Sakta shrines.
Sibsagar is a leading tea- and oil-producing district. The eastern regional headquarters of the Oil and Natural Gas Commission is located at Nazira, a few kilometers from the town of Sibsagar.
The town of Sibsagar was the capital of the mighty Ahoms. Modern Sibsagar is a fast developing town. It is famous for a 257 acre tank that is at a higher elevation than the rest of the town. There are three temples on its banks - Shiva dol, Vishnu dol and Devi dol. Shiva dol draws large crowds at Shivratri. It is believed to be the tallest Shiva temple in India.